Thursday, September 27, 2007
Tuesday, September 25, 2007
Friday, September 21, 2007
So, it turns out that the electrician did have difficulty while digging the trench for the electric. If you remember from my previous post the electrician only got the trench halfway dug. He kept hitting rocks and ripping the chain off the trench-digger he was using. The rental company finally fussed at him since he had to take it back to them every time the chain came off. So today he and one of the builder's workmen were out with a larger excavator machine. They successfully laid the pipe for the electric to be hooked up through. Unfortunately they accidentally cut through our phone cable, which hadn't been properly marked by the utility company. No biggie. At least they missed our internet cable. The electrician told me we should have power in the building by next week sometime. Can't wait!
Laying the pipe for the AC.
That's our phone line. Oops.
Almost to the transformer. Note the bar across the trench. That marks where our internet cable is. If they had hit that I wouldn't be posting this now.
Tuesday, September 18, 2007
Yup, things are still slow here on the gameroom. Today about half of the trench for the electrical was dug. Not sure if there were difficulties or if they just ran out of time, but it looks like it goes about halfway to the transformer.
Over the weekend we got (another) loan for (hopefully!) the last $20k we need to complete the building. Yay! I contacted the painter who stained our house and he's going to begin staining the cedar siding on the gameroom on Monday the 24th. He said it would take him about 5-10 days to complete. It should look really sweet when it's all stained, and after it's stained they should be able to put up the guttering. The steps to the house deck and to the upstairs gameroom door have not been built yet. He says he'll come back and do those when they are built.
Wednesday, September 12, 2007
Saturday, September 8, 2007
Things were slow this last week. People showed up on Friday and installed almost all the rest of the HVAC system, including the outside units, the registers, and the thermostats. The only part left is to wire up the power to the outside units. The building still doesn't have electricity, so we won't be chillin' any time soon. They also put in the rest of the stairway railing.
In other news, I did manage to find a replacement neon tube for the one damaged ceiling fan. The part cost $30, but I was happy to find it was available!
Saturday, September 1, 2007
They did the grading around the building. It's pretty rough looking, but at least the giant dirt pile is gone. We're obviously going to need to smooth things out a lot. They should be able to install the heat-pump units behind the building now at any rate. They also should be running a trench for the electric soon. I'm hoping to drop in a phone line while the trench is still open. No idea when the trench for the water will be run. Seems like it would be easier to just run one trench for everything, but I don't know what they're going to do.
The rest of the fans were installed with the exception of one that had a broken neon tube. Arg! If only you knew what a huge pain in the butt it was getting these fans, you'd feel really sorry for me right now. I'm going to try and call the manufacturer after the holiday weekend and see if I can get a replacement tube for it. They also capped off the wiring for the blacklights since we don't have the money to install the fixtures yet.
The breezeway lights.